If you are hurt in a car crash, seeing a doctor is one of the first things you should do. However, you might not know which doctors you should visit when you have sustained certain injuries. There are several doctors that may be worth visiting, but it all depends on the specific injuries you have sustained.

Primary care physician

Before seeing anyone else, consider visiting with your primary care physician. During your visit with the physician, you can let him or her know about the accident and the injuries that you sustained, along with the types of treatment you initially received when you were in the hospital. After explaining the accident and injuries to your primary care physician, the physician can provide referrals for you to see different specialists. You may need to see several specialists due to the extent of your injuries.

Orthopedic physician

An orthopedic physician is a professional that treats conditions of the bones and joints. During the accident, you may have broken several bones while sustaining damage to some of your joints. Meeting with an orthopedic physician would be the best way for you to receive treatment for such serious and painful injuries. If you have broken a certain area of the body, you might even want to see an orthopedic physician that specializes in that part of the body.


Meeting with a neurologist may be necessary when damage to the brain or spinal cord has occurred during the accident. The neurologist can run imaging tests, perform thorough examinations, and provide treatment options for various brain and spinal cord injuries. Many tests are non-invasive, but some may require you to be put under general anesthesia. A neurologist may recommend surgical procedures for severe brain and Knoxville spinal cord injuries that would put a patient at risk.


The injuries sustained during an accident are not always just physical. The trauma can cause victims to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder. Victims may have a fear of driving and getting back out on the road again because they are afraid of getting into another serious car accident. A serious car crash can take such a major psychological toll on an individual, which can lead to feelings of depression and anxiety. If you believe that you have post-traumatic stress disorder and you are feeling anxious about riding in a vehicle, you should meet with a psychologist to discuss your feelings and receive the help you truly need.

If you have been involved in a Knoxville car crash and you were seriously injured, you may need to see several different doctors. While the types of doctors you need to see will depend on your injuries, primary care physicians, orthopedic physician, neurologists, and psychologists are among some of the physicians that could provide treatment options and assistance after an accident. In addition to seeking help from physicians, you should also hire an attorney to help you with filing a lawsuit. At Banks & Jones, we are serious about helping our clients. We want to get clients the compensation they are entitled to. If you are ready to put up a fight for what you deserve, call us now at 865-407-2122 or complete a contact form online.