Knoxville Domestic Litigation Lawyers Fight for You in Court
Handling cases throughout Maryville, Sevierville, Clinton, Lenoir City and Loudon
Whether you are facing or filing for divorce, our legal team at Banks and Jones wants to be your voice. Our Knoxville divorce attorneys represent clients in heated domestic litigation affairs on a regular basis. We understand that emotions can run high in cases involving spousal support, child custody, child support and modifications. But our lawyers fight aggressively and relentlessly to help you resolve your domestic litigation case as quickly and fairly as possible.
What is a contested divorce?
Divorce proceedings fall into one of two categories: uncontested, wherein you and your spouse agree on how to proceed, and contested, where you don’t. A contested divorce isn’t necessarily an acrimonious one – that depends on you and your husband or wife – but they can get a little heated. Most couples who end up with contested divorces:
- Have significant assets (and often debts)
- Have differing opinions about how to raise the children
- Have a history of being high-conflict
- Have at least one spouse who owns a business
- Did not sign a pre-nuptial agreement
If you find that your partner has become more aggressive, or if the two of you cannot come to terms on anything, then you’re going to want an experienced divorce litigator to represent you.
Types of domestic litigation
Domestic disputes are especially difficult to resolve because they typically involve complex human emotions in addition to confusing legal procedures. At Banks and Jones, our domestic litigation lawyers have the knowledge and experience needed to skillfully handle these sensitive affairs. We frequently assist Knoxville clients with the following types of cases:
- Spousal support (alimony). Battling for spousal support or alimony can be fierce. Our lawyers know how alimony works in Tennessee and the factors the court looks at when awarding it. As professional trial attorneys, we fight aggressively for you.
- Child custody. Child custody is one of the most contested issues in a divorce proceeding. We recognize that you want what is best for your child. Having handled many custody cases in the Knoxville area, our attorneys have a deep understanding of divorce and family law.
- Child support. Providing financial support for any children involved is a key aspect of any divorce. Our attorneys can help determine the proper amount of child support and fight to protect the best interests and future of your child.
- Property division. Assets and debts are divided equitably, not equally, in Tennessee. We fight to ensure that you retain ownership over what means most to you, and that you aren’t stuck shouldering an unfair amount of the debts accrued.
- Modifications. Divorce modifications may be sought regarding child custody, child support and alimony. For example, if you are the noncustodial parent and you recently lost your job, you may be able to petition the court to lower your child support payments. Modifications may also be sought if you are the custodial parent and you are seeking to relocate with your child.
The counsel you hire greatly impacts the outcome of your domestic litigation case. Our trial attorneys are ready to handle your case with the highest level of competence and consideration. We also assist clients who have filed for a protection order against abusive spouses, as well as those who have been unfairly accused of abuse, and wish to have an order against them lifted.
Knoxville lawyers who fight passionately for you in Tennessee
Is a domestic litigation matter interfering with your life? At Banks and Jones, we offer professional and experienced legal help for alimony, child custody, child support and modification cases. To discuss your case with one of our skilled attorneys, call 865-546-2141 or contact us online.